Faculty of Humanities and Social Sciences
The University of Nottingham Ningbo, China and the School of Economics, is seeking to appoint a Professor and Head of the School of Economics
About the School and University Nottingham Ningbo China:
The University of Nottingham Ningbo China (UNNC) was established in 2004 and was the first Sino-foreign University to open its doors in China with the full approval of the Chinese Ministry of Education. It is run by the University of Nottingham, a world top 1% university (QS Ranking), with co-operation from Zhejiang Wanli Education Group, a key player in the education sector in China. Currently the University has more than 8000 students and 850 staff members from 70 countries and regions worldwide, and the number is still growing.
The School of Economics (EC) sits in the Faculty of Humanities and Social Sciences (FHSS) at UNNC. With a range of course for both undergraduate and graduate students (including taught modules for coursework masters and PhD students), our degree programmes combine the core analytical and quantitative techniques required by modern economics with an in-depth study of topical issues, informed by the research of academics who are field specialists.
The School has particular strengths in fields of applied econometrics, health economics and international economics, with emerging strengths in behavioral economics and economic theory. The School of Economic currently hosts three of the University of Nottingham UK’s research centres: the Globalisation and Economic Policy Research Centre (GEP China); the Centre for Decision Research and Experimental Economics (CEDEX China); and the Centre for Health Economics (CHE China). These centres support academic exchange, international conferences, and funded research activity in the areas of international economics and trade, behavioral and experimental economics, and health economics.
You will be expected:
- To lead, inspire and develop the School, with and through its members, to ensure it achieves the highest possible standards of excellence in all activities.
- To undertake academic leadership and managerial responsibilities within the School.
- To have a significant impact on the direction, strategy, objectives and results of the University by influencing and shaping the available resources as appropriate to meet the current and future needs of the University.
- To provide strong, inspiring and outstanding leadership to take the School to the next stage of strategic development.
- To be responsible for strategic and financial planning, teaching and learning within the School, workload planning and the School’s research culture.
- To manage staff in a cooperative and collegiate manner and will be responsible for reviewing the performance of colleagues.
We are seeking a strong leader who has:
- Proven leadership in managing a team of academics or a group of researchers.
- A substantial record of achievement in leading and managing academic activity
- A strong academic record and a recognised research or professional profile in one or more of the disciplines represented within the School.
- An outstanding track record in education. Candidates for this position will be committed to building a first-class student experience and community, putting academic standards and rigor centre-stage.
- Able to deliver a rigour and compelling vision for the School consistent with the University’s drive for excellence.
- PhD or equivalent
Your Remuneration, Benefits and Support
This post is available from September 2022 or as soon thereafter as possible and will initially be offered on a fixed-term substantive contract as Professor with the University of Nottingham Ningbo China for a period of up to 5 years. This contract may be extended on an indefinite basis based on mutual agreement.
In addition to substantive academic appointment as Professor, the successful candidate will be offered, on a fixed-term appointment for a period of up to 4 years, the appointment of Head of School. This appointment may be extended based on mutual agreement. An allowance in recognition of the additional responsibilities taken as Head of School will be offered.
UNNC are committed to providing competitive employment packages while supporting the wellbeing of our staff to help them reach their full potential. You will have access to a range of benefits and rewards, including accommodation allowance, insurances, and schooling support, home flight, relocation & repatriation support, and paid annual leave. An eligible successful candidate will be invited to apply for key talent projects in China in priority with reward of research funding and opportunities from Government.
How to Apply:
Applications are invited to submit online here.
Informal enquiries and applications may be addressed to Natalie Derry of WittKieffer via email to email@example.com
Applications should include:
- a full academic CV
- a cover letter which addresses the key selection criteria
Closing Date: 7 Jan 2022
WittKieffer is a global executive search firm delivering solutions across the leadership continuum—executive, emerging and interim. We are dedicated exclusively to partnering with organisations that improve quality of life, including those in academia, healthcare and life sciences. For over 50 years, we have been strategic experts who understand leadership, people who lead and the impact they have on organisations and society. We are delighted to be partnering with the University of Nottingham Ningbo China in appointing a new Professor and Head of the School of Economics.